Monday, May 4, 2009

Racial Issues

Being a white-girl, the only time I’m really faced with a race issue is when it’s brought up in class or through friends. I’m going to take this time to rant a bit because my guy friends are completely ignorant on this issue for as much as I try to educate them otherwise.

When I first met my best friend’s boy friend I thought he was a complete racist. Whenever he opened his mouth something ridiculous would come out. Lauren (not her actual name) and I went to a townie bar in South Bend that was predominantly black. This was a HUGE issue because “obviously black men couldn’t be trusted and were always trying to rape white girls.” It’s almost embarrassing to publically state that I hang out with people like that, but they’re not all bad except for this one issue, as ludicrous as it is.

I continue to argue with them, almost on a daily basis, about racial issues. It’s frustrating because I can get them into a corner every time and make my point extremely clear, yet they go right back to the same stupid ideas. Like I said, it’s extremely frustrating, and while I like hanging out with these guys, I don’t want to sacrifice my reputation and ideals by being around them. It’s sort of like being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

No comments:

Post a Comment