Monday, March 23, 2009

Persepolis

I was skeptical when I first saw the book Persepolis because it looked hard to read, but I am really liking the style of the graphic novel. I especially like how she interjects so much humor and life into her writing and pictures. The way she is raised within the tumultous environment of Iran allows her the opportunity to understand the revolution and war from a different perspective even as a child. Even though Marjane obviously comes from a wealthy family since she has a servant and a cadillac, she still faces the same gender limitations under the fundamentalist regime. Not only must she wear a veil in public because of her gender, she also faces the threat of the punishment that Niloufar had. Marjane's parents see that her life as a woman will lead her to be in trouble with the authorities, and proactively send her to be educated in Vienna. The perception that we as Western/Christian women often have of Iranian and other middle eastern women is obviously very different from how they actually live. For example, the posters, sneakers and jeans that Marjane loves would be in conflict with the stereotypical submissive veil wearing Muslim women that we often see in the media. But, it is true that the gender role that Marjane is able to portray in private is very different from the one that is acceptable in public which shows the limited scope for gender expression that women have in Iran.

2 comments:

  1. I was torn with the way her parents raised her. I believe how easy going they were with letting her have the jeans, posters, sneakers, etc. may have put her in danger. But on the other hand, I thought it was really cool how they did not just conform and kept living the way they wanted to, at least behind closed doors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also skeptical at first to read the graphic novel because I thought it would be very dense and difficult. However, she puts so much life and humor in her reading that allows you to better follow and relate to her. In the second part of the reading, I feel very torn for her as she struggles to deal with living in Vienna while her parents are still stuck in Iran. I feel I would be better able to relate if I had a better background on the situation in Iran at the time but her book is very moving and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete