Monday, March 23, 2009

End of Persepolis

I really enjoyed the end of Persepolis. I really like how she shows us her discontent for living in Iran and how sexist the University is pertaining to the women's dress and moral codes. I think she portrayed her husband's faults in a really good way so as to not put all the blame on him for their failed marriage-they simply were not compatible, even though they complemented each other because they were opposites. This is a perfect example of opposites who do not work! I was a bit surprised that her father foresaw the divorce but encouraged the marriage in order to serve as a life lesson that you shouldn't jump into a marriage too young. I also thought it was neat how her grandmother was not judgmental or condemning about her divorce, rather, her grandmother made the same mistakes as Marji. I thought it was really cool how progressive her parents were, and that not all Iranians are super conservative, as the media portrays them to be. I definitely thought she ended the book on a good note by leaving her family again and going to Europe to live as an independent woman, as her mother and father always dreamed for her. I wonder if there are many Iranian families who are this progressive and considerate of their daughters? Probably so, but I am completely ignorant on the subject concerning Iranian families and their cultural upbringings.

1 comment:

  1. It interested me when you said "opposites do not attrack" because these days you hear people saying opposites do attrack. I think I agree with your statement, though. I also liked your point that people should not jump into marriage so young.

    ReplyDelete