Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dating between professors and students

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/04/22/national/main550500.shtml


This article was interesting. The interviewer asked different faculty members from various institutions on their stance of professor-student relationships.

I'd have to agree that it is unethical and that there is a violation of personal trust between professor and student. I think a professor should only be a mentor, someone you can talk to on a professional, and sometimes, personal level. I think having dinner with a professor in a group situation is fine, but getting drinks together could be crossing the line.

I do know more so of grad students dating their students from their tutorials. I've always wondered why they do this? As a student, I don't think I could date a guy who was teaching me in a classroom and dictating my learning progression in the course of study. I think I'd feel uncomfortable discussing my thoughts on a novel or article with someone I'd been intimate with.

Anyway, would love to hear explanations on why grad students and professors date their students, and why it's ok.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who is entering graduate school next fall, I have thought a lot about this issue and have to admit that I am torn on where I stand on the subject. I have never been in this type of situation. Nevertheless, I as a academic who studies sexuality, I know that sometimes the two mix and that who we are attracted to does not always follow rules of logic or ethnics. Some people enjoy the power dynamic played out in the professor/student senerio as other people have other sexual preferences. People claim that a professor dating a student would cause the professor to have favoritism towards the student but this happens without the sexual aspect.
    On the other hand, I would be concerned that if my professor was sleeping with a classmate, would the professor disclose personal information about me with their partner--just as other couples talk with each other about their work? Is there a way to protect the safety of professors, student/lover, and other classmates without policing people's sexuality?

    ReplyDelete